Friday, March 16, 2007

Quit smoking, start going to the gym!

I am/was a heavy smoker. These last couple of days I've been cutting down in order to quit starting Sunday. My "salvation pack" as I called it, I'm finishing the last cigarette in it right now. So, I have to start the non-smoker's life. 7 30 pounds less a day to spend. I can spend them on shampoo and soap to use at the gym. Or maybe I can get candy for Marawan, the little 5 year old guy who begs outside uni.
I will miss smoke. I can smoke once every blue moon once I know for sure that I'm over it as a habit. I'm going to miss the shapes the smoke makes in the morning light, and at night in the dark, when it glows.
The cigarette I will miss most is the morning cigarette, the one I have with my coffee at university. That's the one I'll miss most, because it marks the beginning of my day.
On the other hand, I'll be able to swim for more than 5 minutes, and maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to run, and not run out of breath!
Quitting smoking I would be healthy. I'm a healthy person, see I eat salad more than I eat anything else. I grill things. I never liked junk food. I don't like the taste of soda. By quitting smoking, I will be giving away the last bit of unhealthiness. I will bother less people. I will not have to cough endlessly in the morning when I'm washing my face.
I am now inhaling the last breath in the last cigarette I buy.


I just put it off.

Now I am a part of the non-smoking crowd. A crowd I don't really like. Non-smokers tend to have this "I will live longer than you" attitude. I don't think I'll ever have that. Eating McBurger is probably just as harmful to one's health as smoking a cigarette.

I won't have a cigarette when I'm writing my shitty poetry.
I won't have a cigarette when I'm experiencing insomnia at 4 AM.

I won't have the cigarette that's right before class starts, or the one right when class ends.

Welcome to a new era of my life where I go to the gym, swim every Saturday, and enjoy pure oxygen (not so pure since I live in Cairo, still).

My lungs will not be black when I die.
There are less chances of me dying of lung cancer.

I'm trying so hard to convince myself.

3 comments:

Egyptian Kangaroo said...

Hey, thank you for passing by ny blog the other day . Your comments were very sweet. I like your blog it is not like the "shit" that is around. I wish you heaps of luck and hope you live up to your blog title in all manners and respect.rgds

maxxedout said...

بالتوفيق

MechanicalCrowds said...

Good stuff... positive