Art history leaves me on an existentialist cross-roads and then I have to ask myself all these silly questions like, what's really art? what's art all about? And that's when the voices in my head are fighting like no tomorrow. ART IS WHAT'S PRETTY, NO NO ART IS WHAT HAS FEELING, ART IS WHAT'S NEW. And the fight goes on forever.
I'm glad I'm looking at contemporary art because I was a little behind on art history but i get really angry with myself sitting in the middle of the voices that try to define it and I think that after this class i will have learned the hardest way how to go with my gut feeling and say "this is shit, i wouldn't wanna look at it again if i were paid to" or "I'd pay anything to have this in my bedroom".
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I went to the Tate museum, which is a hotspot for new abstract and contemporary art, last time I was in London.
In one area there was a long line leading to an exhibit, so we thought it must be something really awesome so we stood in line for about 15 minutes. When we finally got to the room there was completely nothing in it except a plain toilet in the middle of the room. Everyone was commenting about the idea behind it and how it represents blah blah blah.
but...it was just a friggin toilet in a room.
*points up* duchamp wannabe.
art is fart darling, art is fart.
you've always had a sense for art--and now you know you'll never lose it :)
and i'm glad. now i know in 20 years if you say something i do is shit i can believe you.
Post a Comment