Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Representing Egyptian Girls

I noticed that the latest trend is having different bloggers, I won't mention who because I'm a coward and I don't like fighting, saying that the represend this, or that. So we'd have a random girl who says "just like any egyptian girl" or, "an egyptian girl" as if they represent all egyptian girls.

This is unacceptable. This is insanity. I don't think that the percentage of egyptian girls who have access to the internet is over 20%, and I'm being generous and optimistic here. The rest of the 80% obviously do not have the chance/the will to "represent" themselves. And it's not anyone's job to try and put themselves in context by saying that they represent the mute ones! I do not represent anyone on a large scale, neither does any of the bloggers that I have bumped into so far. Maybe we represent small groups who are interested in this and that, or small groups who do this and that, but we do not, and are incapable of representing someone sitting at home just because we belong to the same sex, or nationality as they.

There is not point in trying to make yourself feel important by saying that you are humbly accepting the job of speaking outloud for all the repressed egyptian girls, there's absolutely no point because if people would like to know what they think they could go and ask them what they think. We might belong, or not belong, but we do not represent!

2 comments:

N said...

can any girl represent the average Egyptian girl?
My dad used to say there is no average Egyptian.

qahereya said...

Well, I agree with your father. Random people can have thing in common that make them belong to a group, but the scale doesnt get any larger.